2 cups all-purpose flour + more for work surface
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons butter, not softened (no use given)
1/3 cup milk (I often use half-and-half or evaporated milk, if I have it.)
For the glaze:
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon milk
Granulated sugar for sprinkling on top
Use 1/3 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk instead of the 1/3 cup milk.
Add raisins (no measure given).
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through sugar) in a mixing bowl and mix well. (If using raisins, add now.)
- Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- Beat eggs and 1/3 cup milk (or the other dairy) together.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture with a fork and then with hands, but lightly, if necessary.
- Turn dough on to a floured surface and knead 5 times.
- Roll or pat into 9-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
- Whisk together the beaten egg and the 1 Tablespoon milk and brush on each wedge. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake in preheated 400ºF oven until lightly browned, about 7 to 10 or 12 minutes
- Serve warm.
Last Updated March 15, 2013