Thursday, March 7, 2013

Recipes: Tea Scones

Looking to add a bit of Irish to your breakfast, brunch or tea? Try this Irish bread recipe. "These scones are a favorite of my eldest daughter."

Tea Scones
Makes 8
2 cups all-purpose flour + more for work surface
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons butter, not softened (no use given)
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk (I often use half-and-half or evaporated milk, if I have it.)

For the glaze:
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon milk
Granulated sugar for sprinkling on top

Use 1/3 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk instead of the 1/3 cup milk.

Add raisins (no measure given).

1. Combine dry ingredients (flour through sugar) in a mixing bowl and mix well. (If using raisins, add now.)
  2. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
  3. Beat eggs and 1/3 cup milk (or the other dairy) together.
  4. Add egg mixture to flour mixture with a fork and then with hands, but lightly, if necessary.
  5. Turn dough on to a floured surface and knead 5 times.
  6. Roll or pat into 9-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges. 
  7. Whisk together the beaten egg and the 1 Tablespoon milk and brush on each wedge. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
  8. Bake in preheated 400ºF oven until lightly browned, about 7 to 10 or 12 minutes
  9. Serve warm.
Last Updated March 15, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.