Friday, March 8, 2013

Recipes: Mother's Cold Potato Salad

"My family really likes my potato salad. I always make it when we have sandwiches after St. Patrick's Day." See menu.

For the family's St Patrick's Day menus with personal comments, please sign-in at the bottom of

Cold Potato Salad
Makes 10 to 12 servings
5-pounds white potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
Miracle Whip (no measure given)
French's® Yellow Mustard (no measure given)
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped (Sometimes I'll grate it.)
1 or 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 small green bell pepper, finely diced (Sometimes I'll grate it.)
2 or 3 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and grated
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste

For St. Patrick's Day, also place green bell pepper shamrock on top and fresh parsley sprigs around edge.

Tips: "You can always add, but you can't take out."

"Add the prepared mustard a spoon at a time until the flavor of the salad is what your family will like. I've never measured the amount I use. After awhile, you just know what's right by the way it looks. I add (yellow) mustard until the mixture is lightly colored."

"If the potatoes look nice and aren't scarred, sometimes I'll leave the skins on."

Sometimes, I use Dijon mustard or French's® Horseradish Mustard.

Use red bell pepper instead of the green (except for St Patrick's Day!).

Red Potato Salad —  Use unscarred, unpeeled red potatoes instead of the white potatoes and omit salt from the cooking water.

Wash potatoes and peel; cut into halves or quarters. Add potatoes to cold water with 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. (If I'm using unpeeled potatoes, usually I don't salt the water.) Cover and cook until done (no time given). Watch the potatoes because when you cut them for the salad, you want them to hold their shape. You don't want them to be too mushy. Drain potatoes and cool completely.

When cooled, cut the potatoes into roughly equal-size pieces. Sometimes I cube; sometimes I don't. If I'm in a hurry, or making the day before, I combine the potatoes with just enough Miracle Whip and little bit of mustard to keep them from drying out in the refrigerator.

To finish the salad, combine the cut potatoes with the onion, celery, bell pepper, hard boiled eggs, Miracle Whip and mustard in a large bowl. Season with salt and freshly-ground pepper.

Sprinkle paprika on top and serve.

Cover and refrigerate any unused portions; eat or discard within a day.

Last Updated March 15, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.