Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Recipes: Fresh Fruit Salad

"This is my favorite fresh fruit salad recipe and I've been serving it in a crystal bowl at holidays and parties for more than 30 years. Generally, I use Indian River Ruby Red Grapefruits which are in season from October to May; however, tart grapefruit provide an interesting contrast in this recipe. To accommodate others' preferences, I place both slotted and regular serving spoons nearby.

This is a meat-free dish; however, I'm really sending it ahead for Easter Sunday (March 31, 2013) and Mother's Day (Sunday May 12, 2013)."

Fresh Fruit Salad
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 fresh pineapple
1/2 cup sugar
1 grapefruit
2 oranges
1 pear, cored and diced
1 nectarine, pitted and diced
2 plums
1-1/2 cups seedless green grapes, halved lengthwise

1. Retain all of the runoff natural fruit juices during preparation. I use 2 large covered bowls: one for the pineapple and the other for collecting juices and mixing other fruit.
  2. Cut top and bottom off pineapple. Over the first bowl, collect juices while you carefully peel, slice and core the pineapple. Del Monte™ usually attaches tag with diagrams and further directions, or you can watch this video.
  3. Chop or cut pineapple into chunks and place into the second bowl; add the sugar and stir. Set aside at room temperature.
  4. Over the first (juice) bowl, peel and segment grapefruit and oranges; drop fruit into the first (juice) bowl.
  5. Core and dice the pear, nectarine and plums; add diced fruit to grapefruit and oranges in the first bowl.
  6. Add green grape halves to the first bowl; toss lightly to distribute fruit juices.
  7. Cover both bowls; chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
  8. Add pineapple and syrup in the second bowl to the first bowl of fruit; toss lightly to distribute fruit juices and transfer all to crystal serving bowl.
  9. Bring to room temperature before serving.
  10. Place both slotted and regular serving spoons nearby the serving bowl as some may not wish to have the juice with their salad.

Adapts a gift from my sister, Marvell Academy Mothers' Association, High Cotton Cookin': A Collection of Southern Country Recipes (Memphis: Wimmer Brothers, 1978), 85. View family group's announcements.

What's your favorite fruit salad? Send your recipe or post a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is bigfamilynews.info@gmail.com. You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.