Saturday, March 16, 2013

Recipes: Easter Dinner Menu

"This is one of our favorite Easter menus." Recipes (or links) are included.

Easter Sunday Dinner Menu

Very Lemony Roast Chicken

Tossed Salad

Saffron Risotto with Pistachios
(Recipe below)

Asparagus Casserole
(Recipe below) 

Friday, March 15, 2013

Recipes: Orange Liqueur Cake

Have you added Big Family News to your RSS Reader yet? Do it now and get all our posts (no more than 1 message per day) delivered straight to you! Click here. 

Cake recipe follows and PDF file is attached

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Menu: Traditional Irish Breakfast

Ireland has a culture of big breakfasts. If you'd like to continue that tradition this weekend in your St Patrick's Day celebrations, here's a photo to help guide your menu selections. Also, we include some recipe links.

IrishBreakfast.jpg
Photo by Algerina Perna styled by Julie Rothman

Recipes: Fresh Fruit Salad

"This is my favorite fresh fruit salad recipe and I've been serving it in a crystal bowl at holidays and parties for more than 30 years. Generally, I use Indian River Ruby Red Grapefruits which are in season from October to May; however, tart grapefruit provide an interesting contrast in this recipe. To accommodate others' preferences, I place both slotted and regular serving spoons nearby.

This is a meat-free dish; however, I'm really sending it ahead for Easter Sunday (March 31, 2013) and Mother's Day (Sunday May 12, 2013)."

Recipes: Spinach Casserole

"This is an easy casserole that tastes great."

Friday, March 8, 2013

Menu: Traditional Family Lunch

4 leaf clovers,celebrations,clovers,coins,four leaf clovers,four-leafed clovers,good luck,pots of gold,Saint Patricks Day,shamrocks,special occasions,St Patricks Day,symbols

"If you are lucky enough to have any leftovers from St Patrick's Day, glazed corned beef round is good for sandwiches. Rye bread is a 'must' with corned beef and a dill pickle."

Recipes: Mother's Cold Potato Salad

"My family really likes my potato salad. I always make it when we have sandwiches after St. Patrick's Day." See menu.

For the family's St Patrick's Day menus with personal comments, please sign-in at the bottom of www.bigfamilycookbook.com.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Recipes: Hot Onion Soufflé

"This is a really easy hot dip. I like serving it with Frito’s® Corn Chips, Red Oval Farms Stoned Wheat Thins and thinly-sliced Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples." Click here to view our (public (Recipe List).

Recipes: Tea Scones

Looking to add a bit of Irish to your breakfast, brunch or tea? Try this Irish bread recipe. "These scones are a favorite of my eldest daughter."

Recipes: St Patrick's Day Menu

Due to its popularity, we're re-publishing one family's traditional St Patrick's Day menu from our March 14, 2009, email newsletters. Click here for our (public) Recipe List.

Find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews. Slán Abhaile.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Recipes: Quiche

Here are two more meat-free recipes for our Lenten series. If you choose to substitute light cream (half-and-half) in either recipe, please share your results in comments below.

"Quiche can be served any time of the day. Enjoy it as a brunch entrée with fruit, pair it with salad for lunch or dinner, or cut it into small servings to serve as an hors d'oeuvre.

I've always used frozen deep-dish pie crusts for this recipe, so it's really easy to make. If you like, use one of our recipes to make your own pie crust.

Despite the heavy cream, these are still my favorite Spinach Quiche and Mushroom Quiche recipes. Next time I prepare this recipe, however, I plan to use the liquid egg whites, measuring as the carton directs to equal 4 eggs.

You can also vary this recipe to make Swiss Cheese Quiche (use only the Swiss Cheese Base) and by adding your own favorite filling to the Swiss Cheese Base. Maybe a holiday splurge? After all, St Patrick's Day and Easter are just around the corner!"

Friday, March 1, 2013

Recipes: Bean Salad

"This recipe is from my dear friend Betty. She sent it back with my two youngest daughters after they visited her home out of town. It was in a shoe box filled with  cookies they had made together along with some other recipes. Betty's late husband was a chef."

Recipes: Pie Crust

We are posting these pie crusts in the order received. At this initial posting of two recipes, the order also reflects the age of the recipe, starting with the oldest first.