I like using herb-infused vinegar (Rosemary-Thyme Jalapeño Red Wine Vinegar is my favorite); however, apple cider vinegar works fine.
For a complete meal, serve this chili with a salad, and baked potato or crusty bread."
Spicy Vegetable Chili
Makes 8 servingsIngredients:
1.5 cups chopped onions, about 3 medium
1.5 cups sliced celery, about 3 stalks
1.5 cups sliced green peppers, about 2
4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 (14-oz) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
1 cup beer
3 (15.5-oz) cans red kidney beans, undrained
1 (15-oz) can great northern beans or navy or garbanzo beans, undrained
1/2 cup dark raisins
1 cup whole or halved cashews
1/4 cup vinegar infused with fresh herbs and/or jalapeño peppers
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon snipped fresh parsley or 2 Tablespoons dried
2 teaspoons salt-free flavor enhancer such as Mrs. Dash® All Natural Original Seasoning Blend
1 teaspoon fresh milled or cracked black pepper
Pinch of sugar
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon dried basil (crush in hand while adding to stockpot)
1 Tablespoon dried oregano (crush in hand while adding to stockpot)
1/2 teaspoon McIlhenny Co. Tabasco™ Pepper Sauce, more or less, to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups sliced green onions, including tops
When doubling, I use 7 cans of beans instead of 8, including 2 cans Chili Hot Beans.
For color contrast, I add 1 red kidney, 2 garbanzo and 2 cans black beans. Use diced carrots instead of the bell pepper.
- Pick over raisins and remove any stems; set aside with cashews.
- In a large skillet, lightly sauté onion, celery, green pepper (or carrots), and garlic in olive oil.
- Stir undrained tomatoes into sauté pan. Use wooden spoon to break-up whole tomatoes. Transfer sautéed vegetables to 8-Quart (covered) stockpot.
- Into the stockpot, stir undrained canned beans, and all other soup ingredients except raisins and cashews. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally so that vegetables are not scorched.
- Remove cover. Simmer 40 to 45 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Add reserved raisins and cashews to the stockpot. Continue cooking uncovered for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and ladle into bowls. Top each serving with cheese and green onions, as desired. Serve warm.
View family group's announcements.
Other meatless main dishes:
Macaroni and Cheese recipes