Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Recipes: Seafood Bake

"I serve this casserole in individual baking shells; to minimize spills during baking, place shells on a foil-covered baking sheet. You can order white Irish scallop baking shells like the ones below from Amazon or this vendor.

Believe it or not, Costco has very good prices on the canned crab (3 to pack).

Consider serving this casserole with a tossed salad, steamed broccoli and Chardonnay. My mother would serve her home-canned peach halves either instead of the broccoli, or as dessert. This is one of the first main dishes she let me cook for family dinner."

Seafood Bake
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
1 (10.5-oz) can condensed cream of celery soup
1/4 cup milk
1 beaten egg
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 (7.5-oz) can crab meat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
1 (4.5-oz) can shrimp, drained
1 (3-oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained

Topping:
3 Tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon melted butter or margarine

Garnish:
Parsley sprigs
Lemon twists

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
  2. In a saucepan, combine soup, milk, egg and 2 Tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Stir over Low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is hot. 
  3. Stir in crab, shrimp and mushrooms. 
  4. Spoon into 4 large baking shells (supplier photo below).
  5. Toss together all of the Topping ingredients and sprinkle crumbs over the seafood mixture. 
  6. Bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes.
  7. Garnish each serving with parsley sprigs and lemon twists.
  8. Serve warm.
Adapts Better Homes and Gardens Encyclopedia of Cooking (Meredith Corporation, 1971?).

Do you have a favorite meat-free casserole? Send us the recipe or tell us about it in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is bigfamilynews.info@gmail.com. You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.