Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Recipes: Scallop, Tomato & Tortellini Soup

"I'm enclosing my recipe for a light, Italian-style soup; it's one of my favorites and it happens to be meat-free. I suggest serving this soup with hot bread and a green salad. Be careful to neither boil the scallops nor cook them too long because they'll become rubbery and tasteless. I hope others enjoy, too."

Scallop, Tomato & Tortellini Soup
Makes 4 generous entree servings
2-1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 Tablespoons minced shallot
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes, drained
2-1/2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1/2-pound cheese-filled tortellini
1-pound Bay Scallops
2-1/2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Freshly-ground pepper to taste

For serving:
Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large skillet, sauté shallot and garlic in 2 Tablespoons of the butter until soft, but not brown; set aside.
  2. Coarsely chop tomatoes, removing seeds as you go.
  3. Add tomatoes to skillet. Increase heat and cook until most of the moisture has evaporated, stirring constantly. Stir in parsley.
  4. Follow directions to prepare tortellini al dente; drain in colander. Turn into bowl and toss with the remaining 1/2 Tablespoon of butter.
  5. Add scallops to pan with tomatoes and cook for a few seconds. Transfer tomato mixture to a large saucepan.
  6. Add chicken stock, wine, basil, pepper and cooked tortellini. Bring soup to a simmer slowly. Do not boil.
  7. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Pass a bowl of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese at the table.

Do you have a favorite meat-free soup? We'd love to have your recipe! Please Contact us or post a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is bigfamilynews.info@gmail.com. You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.