Scallop, Tomato & Tortellini Soup
Makes 4 generous entree servingsIngredients:
2-1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 Tablespoons minced shallot
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes, drained
2-1/2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1/2-pound cheese-filled tortellini
1-pound Bay Scallops
2-1/2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Freshly-ground pepper to taste
Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, sauté shallot and garlic in 2 Tablespoons of the butter until soft, but not brown; set aside.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, removing seeds as you go.
- Add tomatoes to skillet. Increase heat and cook until most of the moisture has evaporated, stirring constantly. Stir in parsley.
- Follow directions to prepare tortellini al dente; drain in colander. Turn into bowl and toss with the remaining 1/2 Tablespoon of butter.
- Add scallops to pan with tomatoes and cook for a few seconds. Transfer tomato mixture to a large saucepan.
- Add chicken stock, wine, basil, pepper and cooked tortellini. Bring soup to a simmer slowly. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Pass a bowl of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
Do you have a favorite meat-free soup? We'd love to have your recipe! Please Contact us or post a comment.