Friday, February 8, 2013

Recipes: Macaroni & Cheese

"Of all my macaroni and cheese recipes (and I have many), I like this one the best because it's versatile, and the cheese melts really well. I frequently use it during Lent. You can always add green bell peppers or tomatoes for color and variety."

Grandma's Favorite Macaroni & Cheese
Serving size not stated
2-LBS Velveeta® cheese
1 can evaporated milk, undiluted
1/4 cup butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce®
1-1/2 LBS macaroni (you choose shape)

1. Prepare macaroni al dente. Set aside, keeping warm.

2. Cut Velveeta® into cubes. Cook cheese in top of double boiler until melted.

3. When Velveeta® is smooth, add other ingredients and blend well.

4. Combine with the cooked macaroni.

5. Can serve immediately, or bake in casserole for 30 minutes at 325ºF.

View family group's announcements. 

Three-Cheese Macaroni
Makes 10 to 12 servings
16-oz uncooked elbow macaroni
Small amount of olive oil
5 Tablespoons green onions, excluding tops
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups (8-oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups (8-oz) shredded medium-sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 of (8-oz) jar Cheez Whiz
2 (12-oz) cans evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons granulated white pepper

Optional, for casserole:
5 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley
3/4 Tbsp paprika

1 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter or margarine

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease 9- x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
  2. Prepare macaroni:  Follow package directions to cook macaroni until tender but still firm. Drain well.
  3. While macaroni is cooking, lightly sauté the green onions in small amount of olive oil.
  4. Stir together hot macaroni, the butter, 3 cheeses, and sautéed green onions. Spoon macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish.
  5. Prepare sauce:  Whisk together milk, eggs, and white pepper (and optional ingredients, if desired). Pour milk mixture in one side of the baking dish.
  6. Prepare topping:  Stir together all the ingredients. Sprinkle over macaroni.
  7. Cover casserole and bake at 350ºF for 45 to 50 minutes.
  8. Uncover; continue baking 10 more minutes, or until macaroni and cheese is set, and golden. Serve warm.
Adapts Southern Living 2000 Annual Recipes (Oxmoor House, 2000), 273.

View family group's announcements. 

Download free PDF file with these recipes here. To view all Big Family recipes posted on this Blog, click here. Find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews.

What's your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe? Contact us for personal email to send your recipe.

1 comment:

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.