Saturday, December 1, 2012

Recipes: Vanilla Fudge

"My son has been after me for years to send this recipe which I used to make at Christmas. I made a number of batches to get it just right; then my son and grandson came over to taste. It's really good. There's really no reason to limit this fudge just to Christmas. I think it will be nice to serve this throughout the year."

To view personalized variations, please sign in at; from the top menu bar, select Dessert then Vanilla Fudge.

Vanilla Fudge aka "White Fudge"
Makes 16 (2-inch) pieces
2 cups sugar
1 tsp corn syrup
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter, plus extra to spread in pan
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of salt

Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts.

Add 1/2 cup light or dark raisins or chopped candied fruit.

1. Spread butter in an 8 x 8-inch pan. Set aside. You will find this task easier if you allow the butter to stand at room temperature to soften.
  2. Scald 2/3 cup of milk.
  3. In a medium heavy pan over Low heat, use a wooden spoon to combine the milk, sugar, corn syrup and salt until dissolved.
  4. Then, cook gently over Medium heat, occasionally stirring from the bottom to be sure the mixture is not sticking or burning. Stay with the pan. This mixture cooks fast and wants to bubble over; adjust the heat as necessary.
  5. Cook until the mixture comes to the soft ball stage, which begins at 234 - 236ºF (view video). Remove pan from heat while testing so as not to overcook. If you are not using a candy thermometer, soft ball stage is indicated when a small amount of the mixture dropped into chilled water forms a ball that does not disintegrate but flattens out of its own accord when picked up with your fingers.
  6. At the soft ball stage, remove pan from heat. Float 2 Tbsp of the butter on top. Cool the mixture in the pan without stirring.
  7. When lukewarm, add the vanilla extract and beat until the mixture begins to lose its gloss and is thick. The contributor starts beating the mixture when the pan becomes cool to the touch; stop when the mixture becomes so thick you have difficulty continuing to beat it.
  8. If you wish to add nuts or fruit, do so now.
  9. Let fudge harden in the 8 x 8-inch prepared pan.
  10. Cut into squares and store tightly covered.
We're re-publishing this recipe from our April 1, 2009, newsletter (Sign-in at for archived PDF file).

View family group announcements. See all family recipes on this blog here. Find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews.

What's your favorite Christmas recipe? Leave a comment below or send us your recipe!

Last Updated February 9, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.