Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sharing Holiday Recipes

What dishes do you most enjoy during the holidays? Which ones remind you of family times?

Three of our favorites are Four Cheese Pâté, Shrimp Dip and Apple Spice Cake. How about sharing one of your favorite dish recipes? If you don't have the recipe, we may be able to help.

As a team, we've recovered nearly all of the recipes you've requested. Please send news, recipes or requests to our coordinator (bigfamilywebsites dot info at gm--- DOT com), stating any publication preferences. In advance, we thank you.

What recipe would you like to share/have? Comment below!

Recipes: Apple Spice Cake

Before our New Year's resolutions kick in, we're republishing our favorite apple spice cake recipe, known as "disappearing" due to the speed at which a certain group of 4 sisters (allegedly) ravenously devoured the cake in one sitting. For more information, Sign-in from your registered email account and then view this page in our private Family Cookbook by clicking here.

This is really one of the best cakes ever made -- and very Irish in character, too!

Recipes: Shimp Dip

For our New Year's gatherings, we're republishing two of our favorite appetizers (view Four Cheese Pâté). You may prepare this Shrimp Dip up to two days in advance. Our contributor likes serving this dip with crudités and Ruffles.

Recipes: Four Cheese Pâté

For our New Year's gatherings, we're republishing two of our favorite appetizers (view Shrimp Dip). You can refrigerate this Four Cheese Pâté up to one week. Our contributor likes to serve this pâté with red and green apple slices and water crackers.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Holiday Safety Tips

Our team receives many questions about Internet safety and privacy and we post  occasional suggestions. I encourage my family to consider the tips released today by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and republished below. You'll find many helpful links within the numbered paragraphs.

For more recommended reading, I'm also linking you to Marcia Brixey's "More Holiday Shopping Tips" via Forbes (December 5, 2012).

"The FTC's Gift to You: A Dozen Dynamic Holiday Shopping Tips

Just in time for the holiday shopping season, the Federal Trade Commission has 12 practical tips to help you watch your wallet, shop wisely, and protect your personal information.
  1. Make a shopping list and check it twice.  Make sure your budget includes incidentals like cards, wrapping paper, parking, or eating out.
  2. Consider customer reviews carefully.  The law says reviewers should disclose their connection to a company, but not all of them do.  Before you buy anything based on a review, search online for information from sources you trust.  Compare reviews from a variety of websites.
  3. If you use mobile apps to shop for deals, be aware of how the apps are paid for, what information they may gather from your device, or who gets that information.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Recipes: Chicken Casserole

"I would serve this Chicken Casserole with green beans or green bean casserole, and yellow corn or carrots. Remember, "House Rule: We serve two vegetables and you must eat one of them."

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Recipes: Spinach Salad Ambrosia

"I like serving this salad as a first course with my daughter's Chicken Scallopine."

Recipes: Never-Fail Pie Crust

"I have used this recipe for years. It produces enough dough for 2 double-crust or up to 5 single-crust pies, and you can keep this dough in the refrigerator for 2 weeks."

Recipes: Vanilla Fudge

"My son has been after me for years to send this recipe which I used to make at Christmas. I made a number of batches to get it just right; then my son and grandson came over to taste. It's really good. There's really no reason to limit this fudge just to Christmas. I think it will be nice to serve this throughout the year."

To view personalized variations, please sign in at bigfamilycookbook.com; from the top menu bar, select Dessert then Vanilla Fudge.

Recipes: Dump Cake

"This recipe is very easy to make. Create your own variations by substituting other pie fillings."

N's Dump Cake
Makes about 12 servings
Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter or margarine
1 large can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 large can cherry pie filling

Recipes: The Best Brownies in The World

M's The Best Brownies in the World
Makes 12 to 18 pieces
Ingredients:
7/8 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup Hershey's® Baking Cocoa