Saturday, March 17, 2012

Recipes: St Patrick's Day Condiments

Céad míle fáilte romhat! ( A hundred thousand welcomes to you!) Here's some recipes to enjoy today with your corned beef and cabbage. We're re-publishing the first two recipes added to our Family Cookbook in March, 2009; it's a tradition of one family group's Saint Patrick's Day menu (sign-in and click here).

Although we do not have her recipe, late great great grandmother served an especially light (and sometimes glazed) angel food cake on a pressed glass pedestal for dessert on St Patrick's Day. She liked placing a small chalk composition leprechaun statue from her grandmother (born USA 1850s) in the center of the cake (on overturned glass for height). 

Image via Wikipedia

"I like cooking extra corned beef rounds to have sandwiches the next day. This is my favorite glaze for corned beef round cooked for sandwiches. For variation, sometimes, I'll combine with orange marmalade and some bruised cloves."

Apple Glaze
1 cup light brown sugar ('I use dark, if I've got it.')
1/2 + tsp dry hot mustard
1 Tbsp prepared horseradish ('I do like horseradish, so I add more for myself.')
Liquid, and unless you want a thin mixture for basting, start with less than 1 cup ('I like to use apple juice.')

1. Cook your corned beef as usual. (Sign-in for Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner recipe for tips.)
  2. Remove corned beef from the dutch oven and place it in a clean oven dish.
  3. Combine all dry ingredients for the glaze.
  4. Gradually pour your liquid into the dry ingredients.
  5. Stir glaze ingredients, and adjust until the taste and consistency suits you.
  6. Smother the cooked corned beef with the glaze, and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
  7. Finish and serve Corned Beef Sandwiches (See Menu or Sign-in for family notes about Traditional Menu.)

"This second recipe is my favorite sauce to serve with a corned beef dinner."  
Horseradish Sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp horseradish
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Notes: Start with the 1 Tbsp horseradish and adjust according to your family’s preferences; I use more for my own taste.

1. Mix all ingredients.
  2. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least one hour before serving as a condiment on the table.

Happy St Patrick's Day! We'll close with this Irish blessing:

Dance as if no one were watching,
Sing as if no one were listening,
And live every day as if it were your last.

What's your favorite condiment to serve with your St Patrick's Day meal? Leave  a comment!

Last Updated March 8, 2013

1 comment:

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.