Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Custom domain names are here! Sept 13, 2011

If you've been reading our blogs or private cookbook site, you know we've been considering custom domain names (FAQ) for our web sites. Drumroll, please. You may now find our family at www.bigfamilycookbook.com and www.bigfamilynews.com. You can sign-in from the Home page, and you can also continue to sign-in via Google Sites on your My sites page.

A relative registered these domain names to make it easier for our extended family to find and use our web sites (FAQ). Thank you to our anonymous benefactor for paying these expenses for us for the first year.

Posting Tips
Please update your bookmarks as we have disabled access to the predecessor web sites. 

If you subscribe to our family cookbook, you will find BigFamilyCookbook.com already appears on your Google Sites My Sites page. To add recipes, just sign-in and read our tips here. If you have not yet joined that web site, please Email the author below with your signature recipe or favorite family menu to get started.

We're still working on the family news layout and you can make suggestions via (1) Contact Us at www.bigfamilynews.com or (2) Email the author or (3) Comments below any post.

Our team always welcomes feedback, and this includes new web design ideas. As we want to preserve the integrity of our Page-Level privacy settings, however, please allow our online team to add and move pages where the site contains both public and restricted content. For an explanation, read about Page-Level Permissions, a feature we wrote about September 6, 2011.

Page-Level Permissions
We are using Google Sites' Page-Level Permissions (FAQ) on www.bigfamilycookbook.com and www.bigfamilynews.com. In both cases, and after signing-in, only our family subscribers will see restricted content.

If you do not subscribe (read about difference between register and subscribe in FAQ) to our restricted content (or do not sign-in), you will only see content we share with the public. Read more details about Page-Level Permissions, a feature we wrote about September 6, 2011.

Our team always welcomes feedback; this includes new the designation of public and restricted content. Read more about our privacy practices here.

Blogs
This morning, we are activating the first phase of www.lovenymusic.com. A relative registered this domain name for the express purpose of preserving elements of our family heritage. Please read more here.

We will be moving the blog you are reading to a custom domain name, so watch for the name-change announcement on Twitter @BigFamilyNews.

What features do you want to see on our web sites? Let us know in comments!

Updated December 3, 2011 at 4:27 AM

9 comments:

1. Love, love, love this concept! Will you still post stuff for me? I would rather use the forms or email it to you. I'm really not that comfortable with making my own changes, and doubt I ever will be. Everything looks great!

ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean you're consolidating, and we'll sign-in to fewer sites?

ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate what you are trying to do here. I agree with the earlier comment, and I also want to let someone more knowledgeable handle everything from my family. Where there is a chance one of us might inadvertently expose private information, I really think editing access must be restricted as a safety precaution. I urge you to reconsider the access list levels. You've learned a lot, haven't you? Take care.

ReplyDelete
  4. As for myself, I most use the address info, and I like the format. I do not think it makes any sense to let everybody who has a computer and provides their home address to directly edit the website. That's basically what we're talking about here, right? You provide a form and several easy ways to email updates, and we should use one of those. The organizers and really knowledgeable people who will keep private info private should be the ones changing the websites. BTW, I like this open forum for comments. Thanks.

ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your thoughtful Comments. Let's keep the discussion going! Online team is monitoring and we will follow-up with future blog post. Enjoy the weekend!

ReplyDelete
  6. This blog's new address is http://forum.bigfamilynews.com

ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind using online forms as long as I get a response.

ReplyDelete
  8. Is family participation and not forms the issue?

ReplyDelete

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is bigfamilynews.info@gmail.com. You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.