Saturday, June 26, 2010

FAQ about our Confidential Info -- Updated Feb 26, 2012

Do I have to use my full name 
when posting on our public web sites?
7/22/2011
A:  No. On our public Blogs, you may post using a nickname (recommended) or anonymously. More info about this blog.

Will you post my name
 on public web sites?
Updated 01/06/2012
A:  Yes, if you or your group advertises a public event like a concert or live theater performance. For a related web site, we first wrote to relatives for their permission, and plan to continue that courtesy.

Also, our online team may use a few surnames (last names) so our extended family will recognize the web site is relevant to them. Please read our current Privacy Practices here, and post comments here.

Will you post my personal Email or 
personal contact data on public web sites?
A:  No.

Will you remove data 
about me/my family?
Revised 01/06/2012
A:  Yes. For family web sites, please see our Complaint Resolution in our Privacy Practices. We are not responsible for content of external sites.

Are you comfortable everyone 
in our family knows how
to protect confidential data? 
Updated 02/26/2012
A:  Yes, generally. Our team has been fielding questions and coaching since we started the Email newsletters in 2008. For example, we've been asked not to use business Emails and equipment (hence, FAQ about resources at Workplace and School), and to discourage forwarding of  chain Emails. Whenever we add someone to our big family distribution, we inquire about her/his Internet practices and address our family's privacy expectations. Starting January 1, 2012, we're also posting our Privacy Practices.

Most relatives seem keenly aware of keeping their Email account secure (read more). We encourage relatives to stay up-to-date on current safe Internet practices, and post suggested reading links.

As requested, we also post online security tips. From feedback in February 2012, (after Google announced changes), we began linking to data control instructions.

Didn't find your question here? You might check our Library of FAQ (Who-What-When-Where-Why? format) and/or search entire blog archives for posts tagged FAQ. For more information, here's our Contact Form.

1 comment:

We appreciate all feedback and encourage you to comment on this blog. Our online team will respond to new issues addressed in comments with future posts on this blog. If you are asking a question click the 'Subscribe By Mail' link below the comment form to be notified of replies.

Our e-mail address is bigfamilynews.info@gmail.com. You can find us on Twitter @BigFamilyNews, or by subscribing to our RSS feeds.